Ben Thompson, Council’s Water Use Coordinator, can offer advice and workshops on various subjects relating to water conservation. Contact him on 04-296 4616 or firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Rain collection systems
- Installing a recycled rainbarrel
- Greywater systems – turning your washing machine into a greywater irrigation powerhouse.
Council also offers free Water Conservation Advisor services. Call 04 296 4700 to book a visit.
- simple assessment of your water use
- replace any washers on leaking taps and toilets (except ceramic washers)
- show you how to read a water meter
- help idenify leaks
- show your group how to change washers and carry out simple plumbing maintenance
- discuss which rain water and greywater system will suit your requirements and discuss the available funding options
Kapiti Coast District Libraries Sustainable Living book list covers low-water gardening and grey-water in the Home/Health section.
Oasis Designs: Original designs for living better, cheaper, & more ecologically since 1980. Has a particular focus on low-tech DIY ecological systems, including rainwater and greywater.
Smarter Homes, the Department of Building and Housing’s website, has a section on water that covers easy ways to save water, reducing water flow, catching and using rainwater, outdoor water use, onsite sewage systems, and re-using greywater.
Level, BRANZ’s website for the construction industry, also has a section on water, focussing on designing, building and renovating homes that use water efficiently for range of reasons:
- to help keep water and wastewater infrastructure costs down
- provide ongoing economic benefits
- make the home better equipped to cope with prolonged droughts or short intense storms
- to benefit the environment by, for example, reducing the need to draw more water from rivers and waterways, and reducing the need to build new infrastructure for supply and disposal.